HBOT in TBI
HBOT in TBI Research
US Study: HBOT in TBI
LSU Pilot Trial of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in chronic blast-induced mild-moderate traumatic brain injury (TBI)/post-concussion syndrome (PCS) and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Conclusions: Significant improvements occurred in symptoms, abnormal physical exam findings, cognitive testing, and quality-of-life measurements, with concomitant significant improvements in SPECT. > Read the Study
Interpretation: > Read Interpretation by Paul G Harch MD
HBOT Protocol: 40 sessions. Treatments were twice/day, 5 days/week for 1 month. A 3-4 hour surface interval between treatments. 100% oxygen at 1.5 ATA. Total dive time was 60 min.
International Study: HBOT in TBI
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Improve Post Concussion Syndrome Years after Mild Traumatic Brain Injury – Randomized Prospective Trial
Conclusions: HBOT can induce neuroplasticity leading to repair of chronically impaired brain functions and improved quality of life in mTBI patients with prolonged PCS at late chronic stage. > Read the Study
HBOT Protocol: 40 sessions (5 days/week), 60 minutes each, with 100% oxygen at 1.5 ATA.
B-Level evidence in mild traumatic brain injury clinical trials
Conclusions: Hyperbaric oxygen and hyperbaric air have demonstrated therapeutic effects on mTBI/PPCS symptoms and can alleviate posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms secondary to a brain injury in 5 out of 5 peer-reviewed clinical trials. The current use of pressurized air (1.2–1.3 ATA) as a placebo or sham in clinical trials biases the results due to biological activity that favors healing. > Read Abstract
Benefits of HBOT in TBI
William Duncan, Ph.D. at Press Conference for Senate Bill 1604
HBOT in TBI: Why treatment at 1.5 ATA?
An exclusive HIN interview and discussion about HBOT in TBI/PTSD with William Duncan, Ph.D.
Hyperbaric Institute of Nevada: HBOT in TBI Advocacy
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and TBI presentation, Panevino in Las Vegas. Dr. Germin and Co-presenter William Dunkin, PhD. (2010)
- Presentation on Hyperbaric Medicine and military veterans with Traumatic Brain Injury, VA , Las Vegas, NV. (2010)
- Participated in NBIRR-1. Observational Study of Hyperbaric Oxygen in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). (2011-2015)
- Presentation and discussion on how local veterans can recover from traumatic brain injury or PTSD and be able to lead productive lives again with HBOT. NV Senator’s Office. (2011)
- A TreatNOW original member.
- Invited lecturer, Dr. Leo Germin, 8th International Hyperbaric Symposium (HBOT 2012). Topic: Acute/Sub-Acute Brain Insults
- Invited lecturer, Dr. Leo Germin, NSIA, Circus Circus Hotel, Las Vegas, NV. (2014)
- Invited lecturer, Dr. Leo Germin, 10th International Hyperbaric Symposium (HBOT 2016). Topic: Acute and Chronic Brain Insults